At the beginning of February, the women behind The Modern Woman blog decided to head to Fare Healthy at the Old Truman Brewery to check out some new brands. One of the things I picked up was a peppermint body scrub from Optiat and I have absolutely fallen in love with it! So much so that it even made it into my very-nearly-overweight suitcase on my work trip to Sorrento this week. I will be the first person to admit that my bathroom is filled will all sorts of potions, including a few exfoliators but this one has gone straight to the top of the list.
One of the things that makes Optiat really stand out is that the London based company make sustainable coffee scrubs by recycling used coffee beans and in the process help reduce the amount of used coffee sent to landfill in the UK each year, which is “more than 500,000 tonnes” according to their website. Optiat actually stands for “One Person’s Trash is Another’s Treasure” and it is a philosophy that runs through their brand.
We all know that exfoliating is good for our skin but why is it so fab?
– Glowing Skin: Removing the top uneven layer of dead skin cells by exfoliating your skin can make it feel smoother and look refreshed because the cells underneath are newer.
– Minimises Pores: When our pores get clogged with dead skin and dirt they get larger and are more noticeable. Removing the dirt from your pores helps minimise them.
– Reduces spots: Removing excess dirt and oil from the skin can help reduce the likelihood of spots.
Why use Coffee?
– Natural Exfoliator: The coffee grounds are a natural and microbead free exfoliator that is gentle on the skin.
– PH Levels: Coffee has the same pH as your skin which means it won’t leave skin feeling tight and dry.
– Caffeine: The caffeine in the coffee beans helps to stimulate blood flow which can be helpful for cellulite, stretch marks, acne and eczema.
– Antioxidants: When coffee grounds are brewed the levels of antioxidants in them actually increases. Antioxidants are important for fighting free radicals, which is known to be one of the main causes of the signs of ageing.
Optiat currently have 4 scrubs; Potent Peppermint, Lemongrass Lifter, Vanilla Velvet and Mouthwatering Mandarin, which all smell great but the Potent Peppermint is by far my favourite. It is so fresh and great to use first thing in the morning when you need a little pick me up to help you wake up. I honestly don’t think I would have managed to look even half-awake in Sorrento without this little beauty perking me up. The Peppermint scrub only has 9 ingredients, all listed on the back and in words you can understand for a change.
The scrub has a bit of a dark and foreboding look about it when it first comes out of the bottle but it smells divine and it is delicate enough to put on your face or on your body. As you apply the scrub, working it over wet skin, the smell of coffee comes through and mingles with the mint nicely. I left mine on for about 5 minutes before rinsing it off.
I actually really enjoyed leaving the product to sit for a little while whilst I brushed my teeth, letting the essential oils work their magic. To make taking photos easier I did this over the sink but I would definitely recommend applying and washing it off in the shower instead as I managed to make quite a mess!
My skin was really smooth afterwards and exfoliating felt like an indulgent treat rather than a core I know I should be doing more often.
You can buy Optiat’s scrubs from their website, here, with single bottles available from £6.99 and they also have a great range of gift boxes if you are on the hunt for a present for anyone.
Do you use any lovely beauty products that you think we should know about?